Oakley penalized for delay by caddie/wife
- By Associated Press
- Jul 27, 2012 11:56 AM ET
TURNBERRY, Scotland – Former champion Pete Oakley was penalized two shots at the Senior British Open on Friday after the caddie – his wife – took too long locating his ball on a fairway during the second round.
The 63-year-old from Florida, who won the 2004 title at Royal Portrush, was penalized for 'undue delay' when playing the 13th hole. His wife was confused when a ball from a group on the 10th tee landed nearby.
''I was looking at the wrong fairway,'' Jennifer Oakley said.
European Tour senior referee Andy McFee said: ''It came to our attention that Pete Oakley was having some trouble on the 13th hole.
''He stood by the bunker where his ball had landed for two or three minutes, then there was a couple of minutes wandering up to the tee, then a couple of minutes for the rules official to go and get the caddie from the 10th and bring her back.''
As a result, Oakley had to sign for an 83 instead of an 81. However, at 16 over, he had comfortably missed the cut.
''I might not have been laughing so much about it if the two-shot penalty had seen me miss the cut,'' Oakley said.
Already well in front in the team competition, the USC Trojans are now on the verge of both team and individual NCAA titles entering the final round of competition at the University of Georgia Golf Co... Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- LIVE STREAM: BMW PGA Championship, Round 3
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- F. Molinari leads BMW | McIlroy, McDowell MC
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots