FORWARD TEES (1 point each):
1. Who is the only six-time champion?
a.) Harry Vardon
b.) Bobby Jones
c.) Tom Watson
2. Which player made up a 10-stroke deficit in the final round to win the British Open for the largest comeback in major championship history?
a.) Scott Hoch
b.) Paul Lawrie
c.) Nick Price
3. At which course were the first 12 British Opens played?
b.) Royal Liverpool
c.) St. Andrews
4. While the British Open winner gets the silver claret jug, who
won at Royal St. George's and was paid off with a gold bar?
a.) Henry Cotton.
b.) Walter Hagen
c.) James Bond, 007.
5. Who is the only player to win the British Open at five
a.) Peter Thomson.
b.) Tom Watson.
c.) Bobby Locke.
6. What do Lee Trevino and Ernie Els have in common?
a.) They both have an affinity for snakes.
b.) They play cricket in their spare time.
c.) They stopped someone from winning a calendar Grand Slam at
MIDDLE TEES (3 points):
7. Who was the last amateur to win the British Open?
a.) Bobby Jones.
b.) Richard Burton.
c.) Young Tom Morris.
8. The British Open was first played in England in 1894 at which
a.) Royal Liverpool.
b.) Royal St. George's.
c.) Royal Birkdale.
9. What mistake did Ian Woosnam make in the final round of the
2001 British Open?
a.) He spent Saturday night in a pub.
b.) He slept in and missed his tee time.
c.) He had 15 clubs in his bag.
10. Who was the first American-born player to win the British
a.) Walter Hagen.
b.) Bobby Jones.
c.) Tommy Armour.
11. During an 18-year span, this player won three times, was
second seven times and never finished lower than 12th.
a.) Bobby Jones.
b.) Peter Thomson.
c.) Jack Nicklaus.
12. Who was the last player to record four rounds in the 60s at
the British Open without winning?
a.) Jesper Parnevik.
b.) Ernie Els.
c.) Peter Oosterhuis.
CHAMPIONSHIP TEES (5 points):
13. Who was the last wire-to-wire winner in the British Open?
a.) Tiger Woods.
b.) Lee Trevino.
c.) Tom Weiskopf.
14. Who is the only player born in Dublin to have won the
a.) Des Smyth.
b.) Christy O'Connor.
c.) Ben Hogan.
15. Six players have won the U.S. Open and British Open in the
same year. Which player doesn't belong on the list?
a.) Lee Trevino
b.) Jack Nicklaus
c.) Gene Sarazen.
16. Who holds the record for most rounds in the 60s at the
a.) Tom Watson.
b.) Greg Norman.
c.) Nick Faldo.
17. Which player has never finished in the top 10 at a British
a.) Phil Mickelson
b.) Billy Mayfair.
c.) Steven Bottomley.
18.) Two players lacked only the British Open to win the career
Grand Slam. One of them was Byron Nelson. Name the other.
a.) Craig Wood.
b.) Raymond Floyd.
c.) Billy Casper.
19th hole (10-point bonus)
Who is the only player to have the best score in all four rounds
of the British Open?
a.) Greg Norman.
b.) Tiger Woods.
c.) J.H. Taylor.
4. c (in 'Goldfinger.')
14. c (Dublin, Texas)
55-64 -- Grand Slam.
45-54 -- Claret jug.
35-44 -- Back nine contender.
25-34 -- Early tee time Sunday.
11-24 -- Missed the cut.
0-10 -- Sell the clubs.
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.