Phadungsil leads Avantha Masters first round
- By Associated Press
- Mar 14, 2013 6:06 PM ET
GREATER NOIDA, India – Chinnarat Phadungsil of Thailand made eight birdies on the back nine Thursday to shoot an 11-under 61 for a five-stroke lead in the first round of the Avantha Masters.
He missed a long putt on the 17th that would have made it nine consecutive birdies for the former world junior champion. He is the youngest winner on the Asian Tour after capturing the Double A International tournament in 2005 at 17.
The leader was followed by a group of five at 6 under, including compatriots Chapchai Nirat and Chawalit Plaphol. Colin Montgomerie had a 76 and is tied for 148th.
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Garcia apologizes to Woods; comment 'stupid'
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia makes 'fried chicken' Tiger remark
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Colonial reax: Garcia's comments | Singh, anchoring
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Colonial | Tee times
- Fowler, Mahan to donate to tornado relief efforts
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management
- Simpson wants bifurcation | Clark's take