Schwartzel dominates in Thailand, wins by 11 shots
- By Associated Press
- Dec 9, 2012 10:35 AM ET
CHON BURI, Thailand – Charl Schwartzel shot a 7-under 65 for the third time at the Thailand Golf Championship, wrapping up a dominating victory by 11 shots.
Schwartzel led from the first round and never slowed down, finishing with a 25-under total of 263 at the Amata Spring Country Club for the South African's first victory since last year's Masters. This year's Masters winner Bubba Watson also shot a 65 to finish in a tie for distant second with Thai golfer Thitiphun Chuayprakong, who finished with a 70.
Sergio Garcia of Spain shot a 70 and was fourth in the Asian Tour event, 12 shots back.
Schwartzel finished second here last year, when Lee Westwood won by seven.
Robert Dinwiddie shot a 5-under 66 on Friday to share the lead with Tjaart van der Walt of South Africa after the second round of the European Tour’s Najeti Hotels Open. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path