Schwartzel four back of record-tying countryman
- By Associated Press
- Nov 15, 2012 12:57 PM ET
JOHANNESBURG – Merrick Bremner of South Africa birdied six of his first nine holes, shooting an 8-under 64 Thursday to tie the course record in the opening round of the South African Open.
He's two shots ahead of Sweden's Henrik Stenson and South Africa's Matthew Carvell at Serengeti Golf and Wildlife Estate on the outskirts of Johannesburg.
The 26-year-old Bremner consolidated his outstanding 30 with two more birdies on the back nine. His bogey-free round raised hopes of a first European Tour title at his home event.
''I played fantastically on the first nine,'' he said. ''I didn't miss a green and there was only one chance that I missed that was makeable, and that was on 15. But in theory, I could have shot 28 on the first nine.''
Craig Lee and Alex Haindl each shot a 67 to trail by three strokes.
After his struggles on No. 12, Schwartzel returned to the form that landed him the 2011 title at Augusta National. He had a chip on No. 2 to set up one of his six birdies and didn't drop any more shots.
Kaymer double-bogeyed his first hole on his South African Open debut – calling it a ''bit of a shocker'' – but picked himself up with four birdies.
Grace, enjoying a breakthrough season since winning back his tour card for 2012, could only manage three birdies, plus a bogey and double on his back nine. Defending champion Hennie Otto shot 71 and amateur Terence Boardman made a hole-in-one on the par-3 12th and finished with a 74.
Charl Schwartzel made sure one hole didn't ruin an entire round on Thursday at the Memorial Tournament. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path