Smith, Rank advance to U.S. Mid-Amateur final
- By Associated Press
- Sep 12, 2012 6:30 PM ET
LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Three-time champion Nathan Smith advanced to the championship match in the U.S. Mid-Amateur, winning two matches Wednesday at Conway Farms Golf Club.
The 34-year-old Smith, from Pittsburgh, will face 25-year-old Canadian Garrett Rank in the 36-hole final
Smith, the 2003, 2009 and 2010 winner in the event for players 25 and older, beat Corby Segal of Santa Clarita, Calif., 1-up in the morning quarterfinals, and topped 1994 and 2001 winner Tim Jackson of Germantown, Tenn., 3 and 1 in the semifinals.
Rank, an Ontario Hockey League referee, beat Matthew Mattare of New York 3 and 2 in the quarterfinals, and edged Todd White of Spartanburg, S.C., 1-up in the semifinals.
With a final decision expected on its proposed ban on anchoring, the USGA has called a news conference for 8 a.m. ET Tuesday morning. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae