Stenson wins South African Open by three
- By Associated Press
- Nov 18, 2012 10:11 AM ET
JOHANNESBURG – Henrik Stenson shot a 71 Sunday for a 17-under total of 271 to win the European Tour's South African Open on Sunday and end a three-year wait for a tournament title.
The Swede held on to his three-shot overnight lead for his first victory since the 2009 Players Championship.
George Coetzee was second at 14 under after his challenge attempt never really got going in the final round. Having put himself in contention with a course-record 63 on Saturday, the South African eagled the par-5 3rd on Sunday. But he could only manage two more birdies and had three bogeys for a 71.
Stenson had four birdies, enough for victory despite a double-bogey five on the 9th. Martin Kaymer shot a 67 for a share of third.
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path