Stenson wins South African Open by three
- By Associated Press
- Nov 18, 2012 10:11 AM ET
JOHANNESBURG – Henrik Stenson shot a 71 Sunday for a 17-under total of 271 to win the European Tour's South African Open on Sunday and end a three-year wait for a tournament title.
The Swede held on to his three-shot overnight lead for his first victory since the 2009 Players Championship.
George Coetzee was second at 14 under after his challenge attempt never really got going in the final round. Having put himself in contention with a course-record 63 on Saturday, the South African eagled the par-5 3rd on Sunday. But he could only manage two more birdies and had three bogeys for a 71.
Stenson had four birdies, enough for victory despite a double-bogey five on the 9th. Martin Kaymer shot a 67 for a share of third.
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Six flak: Lefty's Open runners-up | Posnanski
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- WWL: Nice guy finishes first | OWGR No. 3
- Grill Room: Jungle Bird banned, misses U.S. Open
- Merion in 2021? | Tricky, appreciated | Dramatic
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of Week
- Rose wins for late dad | Hogan would've been proud
- U.S. Open: Articles, videos, pics | Coverage | Social
- Instruction: Play smart and patient like Rose