Sterne co-leads; Schwartzel five back at Joburg Open
- By Associated Press
- Feb 8, 2013 1:34 PM ET
JOHANNESBURG – Trevor Fisher Jr. shot a 9-under 62 and Richard Sterne had a 65 Friday to share the lead after the second round of the Joburg Open.
Fisher had an eagle and seven birdies, including a run of three straight in his back nine on the West Course at Royal Johannesburg and Kensington Golf Club. Sterne went bogey-free for the second consecutive round on the East Course.
The South Africans were 15 under at the European Tour event.
''My last three or four years have been good on the (South African) Sunshine Tour. But I need to get to the next level now,'' Fisher said. ''It's been good for me in terms of the steppingstones I've taken in the last 10 years. But I've stepped on a lot of stones. I need to get to the top now.''
Defending champion Branden Grace, No. 10 on the European money list, missed the cut after rounds of 72 and 70 for a 1-under total.
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose: Letterman Top 10 | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- No. 1-ranked amateur Williams signs with Nike
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path