Sterne co-leads; Schwartzel five back at Joburg Open
- By Associated Press
- Feb 8, 2013 1:34 PM ET
JOHANNESBURG – Trevor Fisher Jr. shot a 9-under 62 and Richard Sterne had a 65 Friday to share the lead after the second round of the Joburg Open.
Fisher had an eagle and seven birdies, including a run of three straight in his back nine on the West Course at Royal Johannesburg and Kensington Golf Club. Sterne went bogey-free for the second consecutive round on the East Course.
The South Africans were 15 under at the European Tour event.
''My last three or four years have been good on the (South African) Sunshine Tour. But I need to get to the next level now,'' Fisher said. ''It's been good for me in terms of the steppingstones I've taken in the last 10 years. But I've stepped on a lot of stones. I need to get to the top now.''
Defending champion Branden Grace, No. 10 on the European money list, missed the cut after rounds of 72 and 70 for a 1-under total.
Midway through the marathon that is British Open qualifying, Josh Teater is poised to earn his first trip to golf’s oldest championship. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller expects Garcia controversy to 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Palmer answers challenge | At a glance | Scores
- Stars stumble in BMW PGA | 41 by Rory | Scores
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Sr. PGA Champ. | Scores
- LPGA Bahamas going 12 holes in Rd. 1 | Tee times
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots