Storm leads Kaymer at KLM after course-record 63
- By Associated Press
- Sep 6, 2012 4:04 PM ET
HILVERSUM, Netherlands – Graeme Storm of England shot a course record 7-under 63 to lead the KLM Open by two shots in the opening round on Thursday.
Storm birdied three of his closing four holes on the Hilversumsche course. His effort was three shots fewer than his previous best score in the premier Dutch event.
''I made the birdies when I gave myself the chances, and I managed to get up and down when I missed the greens,'' he said.
Storm teed up in the Netherlands ranked 353rd in the world. He wants to end the season inside the top 115 to retain full European Tour membership next season.
Martin Kaymer, Frenchman Raphael Jacquelin and Paraguay's Fabrizio Zanotti also surpassed the previous course record with their 5-under 65s to tie for second place.
Kaymer handed playing partner and European Ryder Cup captain Jose Maria Olazabal a reminder of his capabilities before heading to the cup at Medinah outside of Chicago
Kaymer, who won the KLM Open two years ago, capped his round with an eagle at the 12th where he holed a 20-foot putt. European teammate Peter Hanson of Sweden also produced a 68 in his last event before the Ryder Cup.
Graeme McDowell made amends for last year's defeat to capture the Volvo World Match Play Championship on Sunday, defeating Thongchai Jaidee 2 and 1 in the final at Thracian Cliffs Golf and Beach Resor... Read More
Graeme McDowell and Lee Westwood both weighed in on Rory McIlroy's decision to leave Horizon Sports Management. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth