Third round halted with McGrane on top, Manassero one back
- By Associated Press
- Mar 24, 2012 7:07 PM ET
AGADIR, Morocco – Italian teenager Matteo Manassero stayed in the running for the Masters by moving to within a stroke of the leader before darkness halted play Saturday in the third round of the Hassan II Trophy.
Damien McGrane of Ireland remained atop the leaderboard at 12 under after 10 holes. The 18-year-old Manassero must win to boost his ranking into the top 50 to play at Augusta National.
Manassero had seven birdies, including three straight from the 10th hole, to move to 11 under through 16 holes on the Golf du Palais Royal course.
Jose Manuel Lara of Spain is also a stroke back through 10 holes.
Michael Hoey of Northern Ireland was the clubhouse leader after a 65 that included an eagle and eight birdies to finish at 10 under. The three-time European Tour winner had a bogey on the last hole.
Strong win delayed play on Friday, and the second round was finished on Saturday. Only 29 players completed the third round.
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- USGA, R&A announce ban on anchored stroke
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Paul McGinley Adds Captain's Pick for 'Extra Flexibility'
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae