Thompson on the verge of first LPGA title
- By Associated Press
- Sep 17, 2011 5:16 PM ET
PRATTVILLE, Alabama – Teenager Lexi Thompson shot a 5-under 67 in the Navistar LPGA Classic on Saturday and will begin the final round with a five-stroke lead.
The 16-year-old Thompson is at 15-under 201 at the Robert Trent Jones Trail’s Capitol Hill complex. South Korea’s Meena Lee is second, and Tiffany Joh, Karen Stupples and Becky Morgan are tied for third at 8-under 208.
Thompson had four consecutive birdies on Nos. 6-9 and recorded six overall. She bogeyed the par-4 18th.
Thompson was a 14-year-old amateur when she was tied for the 2009 Navistar LPGA lead after two rounds before finishing 27th. She tied for 16th last year.
Joh made the biggest move with a 65 in the third round. She birdied her final two holes.
Stacy Lewis is No. 3 in the world – and No. 1 in Alabama. Lewis shot a 7-under 65 on Saturday to take a two-stroke lead over Angela Stanford in the Navistar LPGA Classic, while second-round leader Le... Read More
Defending champion Lexi Thompson shot a 3-under 69 on Friday to take a one-stroke lead into weekend play in the Navistar LPGA Classic. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Tiger: No desire to clear the air with Garcia
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Uihlein gets first pro win at Madeira | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae