Velasco leads by 2 at Madeira Islands Open
- By Associated Press
- May 10, 2012 4:48 PM ET
SANTO DA SERRA, Madeira Islands – Alvaro Velasco of Spain shot an 8-under 64 Thursday to lead after the opening round of the Madeira Islands Open.
Oliver Wilson of England had six birdies in a 66, joining five others behind Velasco.
Velasco's 64 included nine birdies – four straight from the ninth hole – and one bogey. He had the fewest putts (25) on the mountainous Santo da Serra course.
''I played very consistent all day long and gave myself a lot of birdie chances,'' Velasco said. ''It's been a long time since I played this well. I didn't realize I had four birdies in a row as I was just so focused.''
Amid growing political tensions in the region, Alvaro Quiros feels the European Tour should not play an event scheduled later this month in Seoul, South Korea. Read More
On Wednesday's "Morning Drive" Amy Wilson, president of the PGA Tour Wives Association stopped by to share information on the book "Beyond the Fairways and Greens: A Look Inside the Lives of PGA Tour ... Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose: Letterman Top 10 | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- No. 1-ranked amateur Williams signs with Nike
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path