Velasco leads by 2 at Madeira Islands Open
- By Associated Press
- May 10, 2012 4:48 PM ET
SANTO DA SERRA, Madeira Islands – Alvaro Velasco of Spain shot an 8-under 64 Thursday to lead after the opening round of the Madeira Islands Open.
Oliver Wilson of England had six birdies in a 66, joining five others behind Velasco.
Velasco's 64 included nine birdies – four straight from the ninth hole – and one bogey. He had the fewest putts (25) on the mountainous Santo da Serra course.
''I played very consistent all day long and gave myself a lot of birdie chances,'' Velasco said. ''It's been a long time since I played this well. I didn't realize I had four birdies in a row as I was just so focused.''
Amid growing political tensions in the region, Alvaro Quiros feels the European Tour should not play an event scheduled later this month in Seoul, South Korea. Read More
On Wednesday's "Morning Drive" Amy Wilson, president of the PGA Tour Wives Association stopped by to share information on the book "Beyond the Fairways and Greens: A Look Inside the Lives of PGA Tour ... Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path