Weaver, Fox advance to final of U.S. Amateur
- By Associated Press
- Aug 18, 2012 3:05 PM ET
CHERRY HILLS VILLAGE, Colo. – Michael Weaver opened a big lead, and then hung on to beat Justin Thomas 3-and-2 on Saturday to advance to the final of the U.S. Amateur championship at the Cherry Hills Country Club.
Weaver will face Steven Fox of Hendersonville, Tenn., in Sunday's 36-hole match-play championship. Fox won his semifinal 2-up over Brandon Hagy, who is Weaver's teammate at the University of California at Berkeley.
The 21-year-old Weaver, of Fresno, Calif., opened his semifinal match with Thomas with three consecutive birdies to go 2 up. He stretched his lead to 5 up after the 10th hole but then had to withstand a rally by Thomas, a University of Alabama freshman who won three of four holes to get within two of Weaver.
Tags: US Amateur
The USGA distributed an email to past participants Tuesday to explain that drug testing will begin at this year's U.S. Amateur championships. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- LIVE STREAM: NOW: Watch Big Break Mexico
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Teater leads British Open qualifier; Guthrie 1 back
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae