Weaver, Fox advance to final of U.S. Amateur
- By Associated Press
- Aug 18, 2012 3:05 PM ET
CHERRY HILLS VILLAGE, Colo. – Michael Weaver opened a big lead, and then hung on to beat Justin Thomas 3-and-2 on Saturday to advance to the final of the U.S. Amateur championship at the Cherry Hills Country Club.
Weaver will face Steven Fox of Hendersonville, Tenn., in Sunday's 36-hole match-play championship. Fox won his semifinal 2-up over Brandon Hagy, who is Weaver's teammate at the University of California at Berkeley.
The 21-year-old Weaver, of Fresno, Calif., opened his semifinal match with Thomas with three consecutive birdies to go 2 up. He stretched his lead to 5 up after the 10th hole but then had to withstand a rally by Thomas, a University of Alabama freshman who won three of four holes to get within two of Weaver.
Tags: US Amateur
The USGA distributed an email to past participants Tuesday to explain that drug testing will begin at this year's U.S. Amateur championships. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management