Woodard medalist at U.S. Women's Mid-Amateur
- By Associated Press
- Oct 7, 2012 9:08 PM ET
SAN ANTONIO – Dawn Woodard topped the 64 match-play qualifiers Sunday in the U.S. Women's Mid-Amateur, following her opening 3-under 69 with a 1-over 73 in cool, windy conditions at Briggs Ranch.
The 38-year-old Woodard, from Greer, S.C., was the only player to finish under par.
''It was chilly starting out, but the big factor was the wind,'' Woodard said. ''There was at least a two- to three-club difference from yesterday. I just tried to err on the safe side and take big numbers out of play.''
Meghan Stasi of Oakland Park, Fla., finished three strokes back after a 71 in the event limited to players 25 and older.
Defending champion Ellen Port advanced with rounds of 76 and 75. The 51-year-old Port, from St. Louis, won the USGA Senior Women's Amateur last month.
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth