Woodard medalist at U.S. Women's Mid-Amateur
- By Associated Press
- Oct 7, 2012 9:08 PM ET
SAN ANTONIO – Dawn Woodard topped the 64 match-play qualifiers Sunday in the U.S. Women's Mid-Amateur, following her opening 3-under 69 with a 1-over 73 in cool, windy conditions at Briggs Ranch.
The 38-year-old Woodard, from Greer, S.C., was the only player to finish under par.
''It was chilly starting out, but the big factor was the wind,'' Woodard said. ''There was at least a two- to three-club difference from yesterday. I just tried to err on the safe side and take big numbers out of play.''
Meghan Stasi of Oakland Park, Fla., finished three strokes back after a 71 in the event limited to players 25 and older.
Defending champion Ellen Port advanced with rounds of 76 and 75. The 51-year-old Port, from St. Louis, won the USGA Senior Women's Amateur last month.
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia makes 'fried chicken' Tiger remark
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Fowler, Mahan to donate to tornado relief efforts
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management
- Simpson wants bifurcation | Clark's take