Woods has played in the event only once, in 1998, when Mark O'Meara beat him 1-up in the final.
New sponsor HSBC bank took over the tournament in March and hoped Woods would lead a field of the top 12 ranked players at Wentworth.
But Woods, winner of last week's Western Open for the third time, has told organizers the dates pose a problem.
'He has not made a decision yet,' HSBC spokesman Richard Beck said Tuesday. 'We are very much in negotiations with IMG, Tiger and his team.
Woods has a 'long-standing, nonplaying commitment' and has promised that if he can't play this year he would like to do so next year, he added.
This year's championship will offer the second-richest prize in golf, a winner's share of $1.56 million.
The field is based on performances in the four majors. Masters winner Mike Weir and U.S. Open champion Jim Furyk already have been offered places.
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.