The words you say to yourself are very important. Most of the comments we make toward ourselves are done with lightning speed out of sheer habit. Often, were not aware of them because they happen so fast.
Marcia has a 14 handicap and says she experiences a lot of negativity on the golf course. Even when shes playing well she says she can be pretty demanding of herself. She says shes a perfectionist and expects a lot of herself when she plays. As a result she has a lot to say on almost every shot. She spends the majority of her time judging her game rather than complimenting it. Although Marcia knows her self-talk is important she didnt realize the power that words really have on her game.
Like Marcia, the challenge for many golfers is realizing:
- The mind, body and emotions are linked together and are always communicating with each other.
- The words we repeat influence the communication process; affecting how we feel and what we do.
When I showed her these phrases she wasnt even aware she was saying them. This is how subtle words can be. We repeat them so often that the mind simply replays the tape without our awareness.
ON-COURSE EXERCISE: Heres a simple exercise you can do to raise your awareness of the subtle negative self-talk that pops up on the course the next time you play.
- Make a small mark on your scorecard for every negative comment you make to yourself or about yourself.
- Do this again on the next round and notice if you have fewer marks on your card.
- Write a list of positive words/phrases on a 3 x 5 card and put it in your pocket. When you notice any negative words/phrases, replace them with one of the words / phrases on your card.
NOTE: If you are interested in presentations for your team, club or organization (business or sports) let us know. David is setting his presentation / workshop / travel schedule for the next 4 months. All presentations include specific insights and strategies to create shifts in how people perform. Also, further discounts are available for the 3 session introductory 1 on 1 phone sessions. They are now only $79 / session! You must register by Oct. 31 2005 . Contact David@theflowzone.net to receive further information on any of the above.
Copyright 2005 David Breslow. David is the author of Wired To Win and offers the highly acclaimed Wired To Win programs for athletes and business professionals to help them perform at the top of their game!. His unique approach helps people make quantum leap shifts! David has appeared on The Golf Channel, ESPN radio, etc. For more programs/services/products or sign up for a free newsletter (write newsletter in subject box). Contact: David Breslow 847.681.1698 Email: David@theflowzone.net or visit the web: www.theflowzone.net. For book orders call toll free: 1.888.280.7715.