Extreme measures: Adidas gets high-tech
- By Global Golf Post
- Aug 15, 2011 2:46 PM ET
It’s not hard to overlook the fact that golf shoes in many cases are as highly technical pieces of equipment as any club or ball in a player’s bag. Born of intensive R&D efforts, they are designed as much to enhance performance (mostly by providing maximum stability), as they are to provide comfort.
A good example of the places equipment makers are taking modern golf footwear is the latest offering from Adidas, the Tour360 ATV (All-Terrain Versatility). The shoe features multiple flex points in the forefoot to allow the foot to move and flex so golfers may more easily adapt to different surfaces and course conditions – and stay stable as they do so.
A dual-density outsole with a 10-spike configuration also assists players in that regard, and its unique construction connects a five-pod decoupled heel with a strengthened TPU midfoot and aggressive Traxion secondary lugs.
The results, company engineers say, is the ability and versatility to successfully play shots from a variety of challenging conditions.
Set to debut on the PGA Tour at The Barclays in late August during this year’s FedEx Cup Playoffs, the ATV employs a full-grain upper with 360Wrap for support around the midfoot as well as a FitFoamTM molded polyurethane insole that provides cushioning and comfort from heel to toe.
The platform of the ATV also uses Adidas’ ThinTech low-profile technology with PINS (Performance Insert System) as well as an advanced cleat system and thinner outsole to bring a golfer’s foot closer to the ground. The idea is to bolster stability, power transfer and balance, and the new ATV, which carries a two-year waterproof warranty and is available in six colors, weighs 2.0 ounces less than the previous Tour360 and is 1.14 mm lower to the ground.
A pretty technical piece of equipment, indeed.
Global Golf Post is the first weekly golf publication designed specifically for digital.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path