After careful consultation with several PGA Tour pros, Ping has made improvements to the workability, control and forgiveness of its S56 irons, giving birth to the S55 – which will be available in golf shops in early November, and can be ordered beginning on October 1.
According to Ping chairman & CEO, John A. Solheim, pros have have been so impressed with the S55 irons' improvement in control over their pre-impact face alignment and increased forgiveness that some, including Bubba Watson and Hunter Mahan, have made the switch immediately – a switch Solheim says validates the hard work Ping put into the club.
'We’re motivated by pushing innovation, and we were able to elevate performance with the S55 in key areas,' said Solheim in a press release. 'It’s a beautiful piece of engineering. It looks great and performs even better.'
Other features of the Ping S55 irons include:
• Custom tuning port made from thermoplastic elastomer softens impact sound and feel
• Larger CTP sits deeper in the cavity to optimize launch conditions
• Thinner face helps increase ball speed for added distance
• Precision-machined face, grooves and back cavity ensure consistent performance
• Available 3-PW
• Stock steel shaft: Ping CFS (Soft R, R, S and X flexes)
• Stock graphite shaft: Ping TFC 189i (Soft R, R, and S flexes)
• Brushed satin-chrome finish
The S55 irons retail for $138.75 per club with a steel shaft and $166.25 per club with a graphite shaft. For more information or to place an order, check out the S55 irons online.