Classic look for Ecco's Tour Hybrid shoes
- By Global Golf Post
- Nov 12, 2012 11:44 AM ET
Leave it to Ecco, the Danish footwear maker that started the trend toward so-called casual or street golf shoes, to keep looking for ways to bring even more players into that fold. Especially those who have been reluctant to give up their classic shoes, even as they appreciated the comfort and performance attributes those new entries provided. And Ecco’s rollout of its Tour Hybrid line is the latest example of that.
Tour Hybrids feature classic leather uppers atop Ecco’s popular street outsoles. The uppers are handcrafted and made to look as suitable for wear in the office or at home as they are on the course. But they also come with a technology story. They are constructed of 100 percent waterproof Gore-Tex and weather-resistant Hydromax leathers. Linings made from Second Skin leather are designed to wick moisture and create a rich interior feel. A removable Ecco Comfort Fibre System insole is made to increase air circulation.
As for the patented outsole configuration, which is made from a highly-durable, wear-resistant material known as TPU, it consists of approximately 100 molded traction bars and more than 800 traction angles intended to provide superior grip in all weather and course conditions.
“The street shoe category has grown dramatically the past couple of years, and we expect it to approach half the total footwear market in 2013,” says David Helter, specialty sales director for Ecco USA, which is based in Londonderry, N.H.
“But there are still factions of old-school golfers who have worn cleated shoes all of their lives. Graeme McDowell is one of those guys, and while they may like the idea of hybrids, they have never been comfortable with a shoe that looked too sporty or casual or athletic. They wanted that classic look, which is what we are giving them with Tour Hybrid.”
The Tour Hybrid is available in three different upper patterns and a variety of colors.
This article provided by Global Golf Post. To get more information on a weekly digital subscription, click here.
Global Golf Post is the first weekly golf publication designed specifically for digital.
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth