Comfort is key when it comes to performance golf footwear design, but so is stability. And FootJoy technicians say that was a primary consideration in the two-year development of their new XPS-1 shoe.
Start with the so-called “lateral sole outriggers,” which are extensions of the outsole so golfers have a wider platform from which they can base their swings. The feature is designed to promote stability as it also prevents slipping and any excess rollover.
In addition, the XPS-1, which stands for “Extreme Platform Stability,” boasts a lightweight fiberglass support structure that provides a medial and lateral wrap for mid-foot support and a 3D Viscoelastic GelCollar for custom fit around the collar. A LaserPlus last is contoured to match the shape of the golfer’s foot, while a multi-density Fit-Bed with EVA support and HeelLoc technology are included to enhance stability as they also promote cushioning and shock absorption.
Padraig Harrington has been wearing XPS-1s in competition since last spring and says it is the best shoe he has ever worn. Fellow touring professional Gary Woodland is a fan as well, calling XPS-1 “the most stable golf shoe” he has ever donned. He added, “Having proper footwork is critical to the game, and for me, balance is everything. With XPS-1, I can get explosive and fire off my right side.”
Company officials describe the XPS-1 as the most technical shoe FootJoy has ever made, and also one of the most comfortable, with uppers made of full-grain leather. The product comes with a two-year waterproof guarantee and is available in five color ways and style options, including one featuring the BOA closure system.
Global Golf Post is the first weekly golf publication designed specifically for digital.
- Garcia sorry, apologizes to Woods | Scores
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management