×
Golf Channel Mobile
Golf Channel
Free
install

GFC Search

 

The Green Jacket

RSS

The only persons authorized to wear the famous Green Jacket are club members and tournament champions.
 
The green jacket is a tradition that began shortly after the first tournament, the traditional Masters green appearing for the first time in 1937. That is the date when members contracted with Brooks Brothers Uniform Company in New York City for the garments.
 
Members of the club were encouraged to purchase a jacket and wear it, especially during the tournament. By this manner, members could readily be identified when a patron had a question or comment.
 
Initially, members were not overly enthusiastic about purchasing and wearing the jackets. It was made of heavy cloth and could make the wearer quite warm at the tournament in April. However, lightweight jackets were made within a few years and were purchased in the Masters golf shop.
 
Today, members eagerly wear the single-breasted, single-vented outerwear in Masters Green. It is adorned with an Augusta National Golf Club logo on the left chest pocket. The logo also appears on the brass buttons.
 
In 1949, the jacket was first awarded to the champion ' Sam Snead. Now given annually unless there is a repeat winner, the jacket is the property of the champion and is taken to his home for a one-year period. It is returned to the club at the next Masters and is then worn only when the champion visits the club.
 

Near the conclusion of the Masters, members jackets in several sizes are taken from the coat room in anticipation of a winner. After play is completed, the champion is taken to the golf shop and is measured for his own jacket. Or, the winner may provide his own measurements.
 
Typically, multiple winners will have only one jacket unless the champion changes measurements drastically.
 
Who do you think will take home the Green Jacket this year?
Share your thoughts!
 
Full Coverage of the 2001 Masters Tournament