Motion to file injunction to protect caddies withdrawn

RSS

Attorneys for a group of caddies who filed a lawsuit against the PGA Tour earlier this month in U.S. District Court in San Francisco withdrew a motion for an injunction to protect the caddies on Thursday.

“[The Tour] has informed the players on the PGA Tour, Champions Tour, and Web.com Tour that the Tour is in no way suggesting or requiring that any member take any action against any caddie solely as a result of the lawsuit,” Thursday’s filing read. “In addition, the Tour has represented that it has directed Tour officials not to take any action, or make any statements to players, inconsistent with the foregoing statement made to players.”

The lawsuit claims caddies are forced to wear logo-covered bibs without receiving any proceeds from contracts that the lawsuit estimates are valued at $50 million annually.

Gene Egdorf, the Houston-based attorney leading the lawsuit against the Tour, told GolfChannel.com that the motion was filed after word spread the Tour was suggesting players take retribution against caddies involved in the lawsuit, which includes more than 80 Tour caddies.

“We heard rumblings that the Tour has asked if players would dismiss caddies who were involved in a potential lawsuit,” Egdorf said on Feb. 3. “We had no choice but to file the case.”

Although Thursday’s motion withdrew the request for injunctive relief, attorneys for the caddies noted that they “reserve the right to seek relief in the form of a temporary restraining order or preliminary injunction order in the future should the circumstances warrant such relief.”