Shane Lowry said Tuesday in advance of his WGC-Bridgestone Invitational title defense that he has withdrawn from Olympic consideration.
Much like world No. 1 Jason Day earlier in the day, Lowry cited family reasons and concern over the Zika virus.
Lowry, 29, was recently married and said he wants to start a family in the near future.
“Based on these circumstances,” he said in a statement, “I have received firm medical advice that I should not travel to Rio this summer.”
Lowry, a three-time winner, described the decision as a “source of much anguish” over the past week, but his withdrawal means that the top three eligible players for Ireland, Australia and South Africa all will skip the Rio Olympics.
Next up for the Irish team are Padraig Harrington and Seamus Power.
Here's a look at Lowry's full statement, via Twitter:
Statement on my Olympic Games participation pic.twitter.com/KY4YBzFa3g— Shane Lowry (@ShaneLowryGolf) June 28, 2016