Javier Ballesteros, son of Seve, turns pro

RSS

The Ballesteros surname is once again among the ranks of professional golf.

Javier Ballesteros, whose father Seve won five major championships, announced in a release Friday that he has turned professional and will look to qualify for the Alps Tour in Europe.

"This is something I have always wanted," the 24-year-old said. "Whether I will succeed or not, time will tell, however I do not want to regret not having tried my best and must give it a go."

Javier is the eldest of three Ballesteros children, and was born two years after Seve won the claret jug for the third and final time at Royal Lytham in 1988. Seve, who was diagnosed with brain cancer in 2008, passed away in 2011.

Earlier this year, Javier took his father's place in the field at the Omega Dubai Desert Classic, as the tournament invited back each of its past champions to celebrate its 25-year anniversary. He missed the cut by three shots after rounds of 74 and 71.

The Alps Tour is the third-tier circuit in Europe, with players hoping to graduate to the Challenge Tour before reaching the European Tour. Despite the long road ahead, Javier expressed optimism and shared that his Hall-of-Fame father was in his thoughts.

"Today my dad comes specially to my mind," he said. "He taught me everything or almost everything I know about golf and I would have loved him to see me turning pro. I am sure he would be very proud and happy."