ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates – At the time it seemed like a missed opportunity for Martin Kaymer, a poor year on the course in America that led to the German failing to play his required 15 times on the PGA Tour.
As a result, Kaymer lost his status on the U.S. circuit this season, but it turns out it won’t make that much of a difference.
“My tournaments will be exactly the same,” he said on Tuesday at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship. “Last year, I played 13 events because I needed to play one more in order to make it to the FedEx Cup [playoffs]. This year, I will play a maximum of 12 events [on the Tour].”
Kaymer said if everything goes according to plan and he is granted a few sponsor exemptions he will play a dozen times in the U.S., including likely starts at the Valspar Championship, RBC Heritage and Wells Fargo Championship.
Added to the majors, World Golf Championships and The Players, which he is automatically qualified for via his world ranking (30th), Kaymer will virtually play a full schedule in the U.S. as well as on the European Tour.
“It’s not bad for me because now I can focus on the Ryder Cup and the Olympic Games, it’s just a little sad for me,” Kaymer said.
The biggest difference between last year and this season will likely be late in the year when the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational will be played opposite the French Open, which will count as two starts and double the Ryder Cup points for European players.
“We’ll see which one I play, that’s the one we’re all talking about,” he said.
Kaymer also said he’s unsure if he will take up membership again next season on the PGA Tour, but he added “there’s a good chance” he would rejoin for the 2016-17 season.