HOYLAKE, England – British odds-makers may have been a bit spooked by Tiger Woods’ missed cut in his return at Congressional – he’s now listed at 25-1 – but the former world No. 1 insisted Tuesday that he’s “getting better” and expects to contend this week at the Open Championship.
Even if his score in D.C. didn’t inspire much confidence, Woods said that the fact that he could even return at the Quicken Loans National was a “big boost to me.”
“The fact that I was able to go at it that hard and hit it like that with no pain,” he said, “it wasn’t like that the previous time I played. … I’ve gotten stronger since then. I’ve gotten more explosive. I’ve got faster since then. I’m only going to get stronger and faster, which is great.”
Woods said he did not suffer any setbacks at Congressional and did not experience any of the shooting pain down his leg that he had felt pre-surgery.
“I was able to recover each and every day,” he said. “I think that’s the key – to go out the next day and feel fresh. In the beginning of the year that wasn’t the case. I just couldn’t recover from day to day.”
Woods arrived at Royal Liverpool on Saturday and played 12 holes, then went all 18 on Sunday and Tuesday. He begins his quest for a fourth claret jug at 4:04 a.m. ET Thursday alongside Henrik Stenson and Angel Cabrera.