AUGUSTA, Ga. – Phil Mickelson is the biggest name who missed the cut, failing to advance to the weekend of the Masters for only the second time in his career and first time since 1997.
Here are some other high-profile players who are heading home:
• Luke Donald continues to search for his first major championship. After a first-round 79, he did rebound by making five birdies to shoot 70.
• Sergio Garcia saw little to make him love Augusta National more. He bogeyed the 17th and 18th holes both days.
• Ernie Els was not sharp and hit just slightly more than half the greens in regulation (52.78 percent). Not a good formula around this place.
• Zach Johnson played better in Round 2, but an opening 78 really put him behind the 8-ball.
• Dustin Johnson was similar to Zach Johnson. A costly double-bogey on 15 during the first round ruined his momentum.
• Jason Dufner made a quadruple-bogey 9 on the 13th hole in the first round and came unraveled after that. He shot 80-74.
• Graeme McDowell just cannot figure out Augusta National. He shot 72-78 and missed the cut here for the third year in a row, and the fifth time in six years.