During his morning fourball match, Rose was stung by a bee on his right thumb.
“It was a well-deserved sting, because I hit a terrible shot into the water hazard on the ninth and I was sort of searching for my golf ball,” he later said. “I had the barb of the insect in me, and yeah, it's still pretty swollen in me and stinging a little bit. My thumb swelled up a little bit but just took an antihistamine. Wasn't too bad. Made a nice putt on 10 and I thought, OK, no worries. But yeah, just a little bee sting on the ninth hole today.”
He knew it was lucky coming on his right thumb and not the left.
“That one takes a lot of pressure. So it's the one that just sits on top and doesn't do much, so I was lucky.”