SAN DIEGO – Harris English and J.B. Holmes share the 54-hole lead at the Farmers Insurance Open. Here’s what You Oughta Know heading into the final round at Torrey Pines:
• Beware the pursuer: Five of the last seven winners on the PGA Tour trailed by two or more shots entering the final round.
• English won in his previous two attempts when holding a 36-hole lead, at the 2013 St. Jude Classic and ’14 OHL Classic, but this is his first share of a 54-hole lead. In his two victories, he shot 69 and 65, respectively, to rally and win.
• A stat in honor of University Day at the Farmers: Since 2013, no college has more wins on the PGA Tour than Georgia’s 11. Florida (six) and Stanford (five) are next on the list.
• In his nine previous appearances at this event, Holmes hasn’t finished better than T-23 (2014). He had only three scores in the 60s in his last 12 rounds here, but this week he has broken par all three days (69-70-68).
• Since winning at Quail Hollow last May, Holmes has yet to record a top-10 finish in 17 events.
• Lucas Glover is tied for third, one shot off the lead. He doesn’t have a top 10 on the PGA Tour since the 2013 Zurich Classic, when he finished T-4.
• Glover has four consecutive made cuts on Tour. The last time he did that? The start of the 2011 season.
• Tied for third heading into the final day, this is Jimmy Walker's eighth top five through 54 holes, tied for the most with Rickie Fowler since the beginning of the 2013-14 season. Walker has converted four of those opportunities into victories.
• Five of the last seven winners of this event have trailed heading into the final round. The only player to hold onto his 54-hole lead was Tiger Woods, who accomplished the feat in 2013 and ’08.