Ballesteros Criticized for Protest Antics

RSS

SUTTON COLDFIELD, England (AP) -- Seve Ballesteros was criticized Wednesday for the way he acted after being penalized for slow play at the Italian Open.
 
Ballesteros refused to accept the one-stroke penalty at last week's tournament. The Spaniard signed a wrong third-round score and was disqualified. Then he was critical of European Tour executive director Ken Schofield.
 
'When you do stuff the way he did, it is just not right,' Bernhard Langer said on the eve of the Benson and Hedges International Open at the Belfry. 'He shouldn't do it and he doesn't need to do it. He knows the rules of the game and he should abide with them.'
 
Ballesteros has had brushes with Schofield. He accuses him of leading a feud against him and Langer, Jose Maria Olazabal and Nick Faldo. Three years ago they questioned the handling of the tour's finances.
 
Ballesteros could face repercussions after a meeting of the Tournament Players Committee next week during the Deutsche Bank Open in Hamburg, Germany.
 
'He should sit back and think about his career,' Padraig Harrington said. 'He should bask in his glory.'
 
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.