Past champions include Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino and Raymond Floyd.
The tournament will be contested at the DiamondBack Golf Club (par 72, 7,079 yards) in Richmond Hill, Ontario.
The total purse for the championship has quadrupled to $450,000; with $81,000 going to the winner. The purse for last year's championship was $97,609.
This is the second of two new events on the 2001 Buy.Com Tour. The Tour visited Hot Springs Village, AR for the Arkansas Classic in April before traveling north of the border for the first time.
The Canadian PGA was allocated 20 exemptions from the Buy.Com Tour and will distribute those accordingly:
- 9 spots: One exemption to each Zone of the Canadian PGA to be filled by the 2000 Zone Champion or 2000 Zone Order of Merit winner.
- 3 spots: Top 3 Canadians (who are also Canadian PGA members) from the 2001 Canadian Tour's Order of Merit at the conclusion of the 2001 CanAm Days Championship (otherwise not exempt through Buy.Com Tour by Friday June 1, 2001 at 5 p.m. ET).
- 3 spots: Top 3 finishers from the 2000 Ping Canadian PGA Club Professional Champions -- Graham Gunn (Manotick, Ontario), Yvan Beauchemin (Balmoral, Quebec), Rob Knights (Alberta).
- 2 spots: Two most recent Canadian PGA Champions from the last ten years (otherwise not exempt through Buy.Com Tour by Friday June 1, 2001 at 5 p.m. ET) ranked in order of most recent championship winner first.
- 2 spots: Two special Canadian PGA exemptions.
- 1 spot: The 2000 Titleist/FootJoy/Cobra Canadian PGA Assistants' Champion -- Ashley Chinner (Toronto, Ontario).
Full field and tee times for the Canadian PGA Championship