It is the first time the British Open has been considered an LPGA major, following the demise of the du Maurier in Canada. It also is the first time women could qualify in the U.S.
Only those players who do not otherwise qualify need compete in the qualifier.
The following is a list of the Weetabix Women's British Open qualifying standards:
- Top-15 from the 2000 Weetabix Women's British Open
- Top-70 players on the LPGA Tour money list following the ShopRite LPGA Classic
- Top-35 players on the Evian Ladies European Tour (LET) money list
- Top-five players from the Japan LPGA money list
- Winners of the LPGA and LET event preceding the Weetabix Women's British Open
- Winners of the previous 10 Weetabix Women's British Opens
- Winners of the previous 10 U.S. Women's Opens
- Winners of the previous five Nabisco Championships
- Winners of the previous five McDonald's LPGA Championships
- Each member of the 2000 United States and European
Solheim Cup teams
- The leading 3 finishers in the top-25 in the LET tournament held in the week immediately preceding the Weetabix Women's British Open who are not otherwise exempt
- The current Ladies' British Open Amateur Champion, Ladies' British Open Amateur Stroke Play Champion, United States Amateur Champion and European Amateur Champion, provided they are still amateurs at the time of the Weetabix Women's British Open
- A maximum of two other leading amateurs at the discretion of the Ladies' Golf Union.
Click here for more golf news!