GFC Search

 

Woods to Play N Z Open Despite Threats

RSS

Tiger Woods said he still plans to play in the New Zealand Open despite a threatening letter containing cyanide sent to the U.S. Embassy in Wellington.
 
Things like this do happen, Woods said after finishing the Mercedes Championships in a tie for 10th place. You have to go on living your life. Its unfortunate that people have these types of views and do these types of acts.
 
Police and embassy officials said the embassy received a letter in December containing cyanide and threats to disrupt the New Zealand Open.
 
Assistant police commissioner Jon White said the threats were directed at the tournament, rather than Woods, but it was clear the threats had been made because Woods, the worlds No. 1 golfer, was playing.
 
Woods shot a final-round 8-under 65 in Hawaii and said he was headed to the hotel for a swim and a quick workout before taking his private plane to New Zealand.
 
The tournament officials have done a wonderful job of organizing the event, he said. They assured me that everything is going to be safe and theyll do the best they can, not only for myself but for the rest of the players and all the people that come out to the tournament.
 
Mark Steinberg, Tigers agent at International Management Group, said Saturday that he was unaware of the letter, though he reversed field Sunday saying he knew about it the week after Christmas.
 
This is just another in a string of events which has plagued this tournament. A furor rose when ticket prices were substantially increased (from $22 to $198 for a weekly pass) in order to offset Woods' $2-million appearance fee. Ticket sales have continued to sag in the wake of atrocious weather in recent weeks.
 
Woods is playing in New Zealand for the first time as a tribute to his caddie, Steve Williams, who grew up near the Paraparaumu Beach course.
 
More Golf Headlines