Your core is comprised of muscles from around your trunk and pelvis. Benefits of strengthening your core include increased protection and bracing for your back as you swing the club with force and the ability to control the club throughout the swing. If you have never focused on your core, the off-season is a perfect time to work on improving this part of your body. Here are a few core strengthening exercises designed by Golf Conditioning Specialist David W. Cusick to get you started.
The first two exercises are essential beginner strengthening techniques, designed to enhance the body’s awareness to initiate the core muscles (transverse abdominals, gluts and lower back) prior to swinging the golf club. The third is a stretch for the hip flexors, which are at the base of the core muscles.
Core Exercise to Target Transverse Abdominal Muscles
1. Lay on your back with knees bent. Place a towel under the small of your back. Keep your lower back pressed against the towel.
2. Tighten abdominals by drawing belly button in towards spine. In one continuous move, slowly straighten left leg, pause then bring it back to start position. Keep pressure into the towel. Repeat exercise with other leg.
3. Do 6-8 repetitions per leg for 2 to 3 sets allowing one minute rest intervals.
1. Begin by lying on your back. Bend your knees with feet flat on the floor. Extend your arms out to your sides for support.
2. Raise your hips and lower back off the floor (squeeze buttocks) to form a straight line from knees to chest. 3. Hold position for 5-10 seconds. Slowly return to start position. Repeat 8-12 repetitions for 2-3 sets. Resting one minute between intervals.
Hip Flexor Stretch with Reach
1. Sit on the ball with one leg stretched behind you. Draw in your belly button toward your spine.
2. Stretching your back leg by squeezing your glut, while reaching with arm across your body to leg out front.
3. Hold this stretch for 5 seconds then release.
4. Do 2-3 sets for 8-10 repetitions. Repeat exercise on other side.
EDITOR'S NOTE: Golf Fitness Magazine is the only national consumer publication dedicated to golf-specific fitness, mental focus, and improving ability, performance and health among all golfers. Get cutting edge fitness & mental tips sent to your inbox each month with our free golf performance eNewsletter, Shape Your Game.