Breed's Blog: Improved setup, improved swing
- By Michael Breed
- Sep 17, 2012 8:00 PM ET
Most of the problems I see in a golf swing happen at address. Your setup dictates what happens in your golf swing, so it is crucial to have the correct setup to succeed in this game. Here are some tips to help improve your setup:
• Your feet should be wider than your shoulders.
• Your trail shoulder should be lower than your lead shoulder.
• If you put an extender out the end of the grip end of the club it should go right through your belt line.
• Your back needs to be flat, do not round your back at address.
• Your toe line, knee line, hip line and shoulder line should all be parallel.
And a couple of final thoughts this week to help you with your ball-striking:
• At impact, the shaft of the club should be leaning slightly ahead of the clubhead. If they are on the same plane, you’re adding more loft to the club and losing distance.
• Use a book to improve your swing plane. Grab a book as if it was a club and make a practice backswing. The book should create a straight line toward your trail shoulder. This is a good tip you can use literally anywhere.
In this video segment, Michael helps you establish a neutral grip on the club so that you have the best chance possible of the clubhead being square at impact, which will result in straighter, more powerful golf shots
Next week’s show: Ryder Cup Special, Monday 7PM ET
• We’ll be live on the range at Medinah Country Club, site of the 2012 Ryder Cup. I’ll teach you the keys to winning the event with the help of former Ryder Cup player and captain Dave Stockton. Stockton is the short game coach for Rory McIlroy, Phil Mickelson and more players in the field, and he’ll share some of the tips they’re working on. Plus, we’ll look back at the Tour Championship, including a breakdown of the FedExCup champion.For more The Golf Fix content visit the showpage.
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play