Breed's Blog: Use a hanger to improve your game
- By Michael Breed
- Oct 8, 2012 8:00 PM ET
Many effective offseason training drills can be done at home with items found around the house. Some of my favorite putting and full-swing drills involve a coat hanger:
• Putting: Grab a coat hanger as exhibited in the picture to the right. Make putting strokes so the hanger moves back and forth in a straight line and does not wobble around. This will keep the clubface stable and make you a better putter.
• Full Swing: Grab a hanger and an iron and grip the two together with the hanger running horizontally up the shaft on the outside of the grip closest to the target. As you take the club back, try and get the hook of the hanger into the lead forearm as quickly as you can. This drill will help you hinge your wrists properly.
Additional practice drills for your putting and full swing:
• A great way to improve your distance control when putting is to grab a coin and put it in the cavity of your putter. Do not let the coin come out of the cavity during your stroke. This will prevent you from jerking the putter head back too quickly or accelerating too quickly and help you improve your overall tempo. To help you get your putts on line, roll out about 10 feet of toilet paper and make putts that roll on the paper. This is a great visual aid that will help you see your putts as a pathway.
• To improve your impact position, find a sleeping bag and practice hitting the bag with the shaft of the club first and not the clubhead. Hitting the sleeping bag with the shaft shows you the correct impact position with the grip ahead of the clubhead.
In this video segment, Michael has a great drill to help you improve your speed on the greens so that you can avoid those dreaded 3-putts.
Next week’s show: Monday 7PM ET
• I’ll teach you the key shots and break down the swings of the key players from the Frys.com Open. I’ll be answering viewer questions from email, Facebook and Twitter throughout the show, as well as breaking down viewer videos with SwingFix. Send in your questions and videos!For more The Golf Fix content visit the showpage.
- LIVE STREAM: Sr. PGA Championship, Round 2
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Donald's three-peat BMW PGA bid ends with MC
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- LPGA Bahamas playing 12 holes in Round 1
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots