Monday musings from Michael on various subjects relating to the world of golf:
• Rory McIlroy, winner of this past weekend’s BMW Championship, does a great job of keeping his lead arm connected to his trail shoulder on the downswing. You should mirror McIlroy and keep your lead arm as close to the trail shoulder for as long as possible. The longer they stay together the more power you will gain. Also, Rory keeps his sternum centered and over his toe line throughout his swing. You need to do the same, and if you do, you will see an increase in ball-striking consistency.
• When chipping out of the rough around the green make sure to move the handle of the club around your body. Open the clubface and keep it open throughout the chip, and keep the face pointing to the sky on your finish. Keeping the clubface open creates spin on the ball.
• A lot of people are intimidated to hit a hybrid out of a fairway bunker but it’s not as hard as you might think. Be sure to slightly open the clubface and try to play a cut shot. In your next round, give it a try. You might just be successful.
• To improve your impact position, make a line on the ground out of baby powder. Put the golf ball about two inches in front of the line and try hitting the ball without hitting the line of baby powder. If you’re able to do this drill your impact position will be spot on.
• The game of golf becomes way more complicated than it needs to be. Remember that your goal is to advance the ball forward to a designated area. As you swing, keep the image of a nail sticking out of the side of the ball and that it needs to be hammered in by your club. This thought will get the club moving along the ground and will eliminate those big, chunky divots.
In this video segment, Michael shows golfers of all ability levels how they can get set up in a position to be more successful when chipping.
More video from Michael:
In this video segment, Michael has some great tips to help you release the club better through impact. Watch Video
Next week’s show: Understanding The Golf Swing, Monday 7PM ET
• It’s everything you need to know about understanding the golf swing. From the setup all the way to the finish, I’ll share drills and use SwingFix to give you a point-by-point understanding.For more The Golf Fix content visit the showpage.