Check out your backswing positions in slow motion
- By SwingFix
- Jan 11, 2013 7:30 AM ET
Everything moves slower in the offseason, but don't let this natural tendency toward torpor overtake you completely.
You can maintain your game even if you feel more like a hibernating bear than The Golden Bear.
We asked some of our top SwingFix instructors for their favorite offseason, indoor swing tips, and this slo-mo drill comes from Tyrus York, PGA Professional at High Performance Golf Academy in Nicholasville, Ky.
"One of my favorite indoor practice drills is to make slow-motion swings stopping at key points in the backswing,” York said. “You can use a junior club or cut-down club if space is an issue and simply take your normal posture holding the club above the ground.”
According to York, the key parts to check in the backswing are listed below:
• Check your grip, posture and balance at address. Use a mirror to check your posture and how it compares to other postures used by tour players.
• At the 9 o'clock position, or halfway back, when the shaft is parallel to the ground it should also be parallel to the target line. The clubface should be in a toe-up or slightly tilted-down position. The back of your lead hand should point away from your body and you should have maintained your balance.
• At the top of the backswing, use a mirror to check for a flat lead wrist that matches the clubface, and a wrist hinge that creates an "L" between your lead arm and the shaft. Your weight should be balanced on the inside of your back foot. Now swing through to a balanced finish.
Try this drill at home a few times a week during your offseason and you won’t have as much rust to shake off when you’re able to get back out on the course.
An elite team of instructors that can show you in a matter of minutes what it would take you months to figure out on your own.
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Guan WD's from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae