Weekly Fix: Creating more distance and solid contact
- By Tim Cooke, SwingFix Instructor
- Jan 29, 2013 12:00 PM ET
Hi, I’m Tim Cooke, and welcome back to Weekly Fix, as we take a closer look at your swings each week right here on GolfChannel.com.
This week, I’ve chosen Dakota’s swing to analyze. He’s a good young player and I really like some things about Dakota’s swing, most notably how he initiates his downswing.
But Dakota also has a couple of minor but common issues that I see among many players that keep him from maximizing distance and being as consistent as he would probably like to be in terms of his ball-striking.
We’ll look at how Dakota can fix those issues, and I think this video should prove to be a good reference point for any golfer who wants to add power and consistency to their game.
To summarize, the tips I would suggest that everyone take away from this week’s analysis would include the following:
• You want to start your downswing with your lower body and feeling like you squat into your front leg and brace your front foot into the ground is a great way to create some positive energy.
• Be very conscious of your ball position when hitting a driver. Because you want to hit the ball slightly on the upswing with your driver, having the ball too far back in your stance can be a detriment.
• One of the easiest ways to achieve solid contact time and time again is to make sure that you maintain a constant spine tilt throughout your swing.
I hope you enjoy this week’s edition of Weekly Fix. Keep sending those videos to us at WeeklyFix@GolfChannel.com and we’ll be back with a new edition next week here at GolfChannel.com.
Tim Cooke is the Director of Instruction at Long Cove Club in Hilton Head Island, S.C., and one of Golf Digest's top young instructors.
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots