Weekly Fix: Lose the flip and create more shaft lean
- By Tim Cooke, SwingFix Instructor
- Mar 12, 2013 12:00 PM ET
Welcome back to Weekly Fix! I’m Tim Cooke and each week on GolfChannel.com we’ll be taking a closer look at your golf swings in hopes of helping you play your best this season.
This week, we’re going to take a look at Marc’s golf swing, and he is hoping to generate more forward shaft lean at impact in an effort to hit better iron shots.
Marc’s not alone when it comes to having this issue. So many golfers release the club early and end up flipping their hands at impact, and that leads to the clubhead getting to the ball before the hands, which is not what we want.
We’ll talk about how to eliminate that move in our analysis this week, and these ideas and tips can help a lot of golfers.
As a quick summary, some of the tips I would suggest that everyone take away from this week’s analysis would include the following:
• If you have trouble rotating your hips in your backswing or if you have tight hips, flare your feet at address and it will help you with your hip turn.
• This might go without saying but just to be clear, as we come into the hitting zone, we want the hands leading the way and the shaft leaning toward the target. That will produce optimal results when it comes to iron play.
• It’s imperative in the downswing that you keep your pelvis back. If it slides forward and tucks under you, your hands have nowhere to go and that lack of space will lead to a flipping action at impact.
Well, that’s it for this week’s edition of Weekly Fix. Keep sending us those videos at WeeklyFix@GolfChannel.com, and we’ll be back with a brand new edition next week right here at GolfChannel.com.
Tim Cooke is the Director of Instruction at Long Cove Club in Hilton Head Island, S.C., and one of Golf Digest's top young instructors.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path