WINDERMERE, Fla. – Since golf's annual backyard brawl began, red and blue have dominated the course where professionals from Isleworth and Lake Nona compete. This year there is an infusion of color at Isleworth for the Tavistock Cup. The color palate adds vibrant green and pink – the club colors of Queenwood and the Albany.
The addition of players from two new clubs adds new faces to the friendly competition but the number of fans has not increased….the event is deliberately limited.
If you’re lucky enough to have clubhouse access, you’re treated to amazing food. Shrimp as big as your fist, giant crab claws, melt in your mouth tenderloin, amazing mahi and a spread of lavish desserts.
Tavistock is well organized, surpassing most tournaments I’ve attended except the Masters. Experienced personnel polish every detail. Golf savvy volunteer students from the local Golf Academy in Orlando are chosen as a reward for good grades to drive golf carts transporting their idols. Tavistock is a privilege for everyone involved yet has the feel of a neighborhood party. It's laid-back backyard atmosphere makes it one of a kind.
Tonight a gala for players and guests of the Tavistock Group will be held in the Isleworth clubhouse. Center stage entertainment will be a mix of Blue Man Group and Cirque de Soleil. I’ve heard it will be “quite messy”…not for the guests in formal attire but for those involved in the entertainment.
A fundraising raffle includes exotic trips, boats, and expensive cars. Tickets are the price of mortgages.The course itself is pristine. The maintenance staff said that thanks to the weather the course is the prettiest it’s ever been. Manicured fairways and greens, landscaping with beautiful flowers make this course look like a dream. In fact, I wondered if I were dreaming when I spied six shiny Audis with their motors running lined up on the 15th tee box waiting for a player to make a hole in one and then he and each member of his party to hop inside a car of their own and drive away to the next hole. What color is the car? Isleworth red.
- LIVE STREAM: Senior PGA Championship, Round 1
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Anchoring attorney: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Back-nine 41 dooms McIlroy's BMW PGA opener
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly