Donald who? Despite being No. 1, not always recognized
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Jul 11, 2012 4:28 PM ET
Luke Donald will be recognized this week as the world's best golfer for a 52nd week atop the Official World Golf Ranking. While the game is aware of Donald's talent, not everyone else is.
Donald and his wife, Diane, enjoyed Wimbledon from the Royal Box at Centre Court last week. He spent some time conversing with singer and international star Kylie Minogue, who had no idea who he was.
"She actually wasn't aware that I was a golfer," Donald said Wednesday at the Scottish Open. "So I had to mention that to her, but her boyfriend is a keen golfer and she turned around and said, he's a professional golfer. And he turned around and goes, 'Yes, I know.'"
Donald defends the title he won a year ago at Castle Stuart in a rain-shortened event. He is the only player inside the top 10 in the world in the field this week.
Win or lose, he'll head into the British Open as world No. 1. Maybe Minogue will notice.
Donald said, "I'll let her boyfriend tell her that."
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play