Bjorn regains lead in Singapore as delays continue
- By Will Gray
- Nov 10, 2012 6:27 AM ET
After not hitting a shot Friday due to weather delays, the Dane fired a 4-under 67 in his second round and held a one-shot lead at 9 under early in the third round when play was again suspended.
"I've enjoyed these two days," Bjorn explained to reporters after completing only three holes of his third round. "I've got two good rounds in the bank but there's a way to go."
His lead is now over a pair of players with a litany of top finishes on the European Tour, but who both still seek their maiden victory. Englishman Chris Wood shot a 6-under 65 in the second round Saturday and will begin play Sunday only one shot behind Bjorn at 8 under. George Coetzee, meanwhile, is in third place, two shots off the pace. Spurred by a stretch of five straight birdies, the South African recorded the lowest round of the tournament with an 8-under 63 in the second round.
World No. 1 Rory McIlroy continued his steady climb up the leaderboard, carding a second consecutive 70 in the second round. The Ulsterman is 2 under mid-way through his third round and will start Sunday in a tie for 13th at 4 under overall, five shots behind Bjorn with 27 holes remaining.
Phil Mickelson appeared in jeopardy of missing the 36-hole cut before a back-nine rally. Birdies on holes 11, 14 and 18 allowed the left-hander to make the cut on the number at 1-over 143, and Mickelson played the first four holes of his third round in 2 under.
Third round play will resume at 7:30 a.m. local time Sunday, with the possibility looming that the event will require a Monday finish to complete play for the second consecutive year.
- SCORING: McDowell, Jaidee in Match Play final
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process