Canada wins 3rd Copa de las Americas title
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Jan 6, 2013 1:53 PM ET
N.C. State junior Albin Choi sank a 12-foot par putt on the 18th hole Sunday to give Canada its third overall title at the Copa de las Americas.
It was the Canadians’ first overall title since 2005, when they won at El Tigre Golf Club in Mexico. They also won in ’03, during the inaugural event in Puerto Rico.
Canada struggled on the final day, shooting 6-over 294 at Doral Resort in Miami, but was able to hold off its closest pursuers thanks to Choi’s clutch putt and Brooke Mackenzie Henderson’s 2-under 70. As a team, the Canadians finished at 25-over 1,177, edging Mexico by a stroke and the two-time defending champion U.S. team by two.
The Americans won in 2007 and ’10, but a final-round 3-over 291 wasn’t enough to make it a three-peat. U.S. Amateur champion Steven Fox, a senior at UT-Chattanooga, shot a final-round 71 to pace the U.S. team, while world No. 1 Chris Williams and Erynne Lee each shot 72. Lindy Duncan closed with 76.
Mexico won the men’s competition, finishing at 1-under 575, four shots ahead of Canada’s duo of Choi and Corey Conners. The United States was third, seven shots behind Mexico.
The U.S. won the women’s competition at 21-under 597, a shot ahead of Canada.
The Copas de las Americas, hosted this year by the U.S. Golf Association, is for amateurs from North, Central and South America, as well as the Caribbean. There are three 72-hole stroke-play competitions – overall, men and women.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path