Canada wins 3rd Copa de las Americas title
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Jan 6, 2013 1:53 PM ET
N.C. State junior Albin Choi sank a 12-foot par putt on the 18th hole Sunday to give Canada its third overall title at the Copa de las Americas.
It was the Canadians’ first overall title since 2005, when they won at El Tigre Golf Club in Mexico. They also won in ’03, during the inaugural event in Puerto Rico.
Canada struggled on the final day, shooting 6-over 294 at Doral Resort in Miami, but was able to hold off its closest pursuers thanks to Choi’s clutch putt and Brooke Mackenzie Henderson’s 2-under 70. As a team, the Canadians finished at 25-over 1,177, edging Mexico by a stroke and the two-time defending champion U.S. team by two.
The Americans won in 2007 and ’10, but a final-round 3-over 291 wasn’t enough to make it a three-peat. U.S. Amateur champion Steven Fox, a senior at UT-Chattanooga, shot a final-round 71 to pace the U.S. team, while world No. 1 Chris Williams and Erynne Lee each shot 72. Lindy Duncan closed with 76.
Mexico won the men’s competition, finishing at 1-under 575, four shots ahead of Canada’s duo of Choi and Corey Conners. The United States was third, seven shots behind Mexico.
The U.S. won the women’s competition at 21-under 597, a shot ahead of Canada.
The Copas de las Americas, hosted this year by the U.S. Golf Association, is for amateurs from North, Central and South America, as well as the Caribbean. There are three 72-hole stroke-play competitions – overall, men and women.
With a final decision expected on its proposed ban on anchoring, the USGA has called a news conference for 8 a.m. ET Tuesday morning. Read More
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae