Fernandez-Castano WDs from Q-School, cites fatigue
- By Rex Hoggard
- Dec 1, 2012 8:45 PM ET
LA QUINTA, Calif. – Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano, the highest-ranked player in the Q-School field, has withdrawn from the Fall Classic citing fatigue.
Fernandez-Castano played last week’s season finale on the European Tour in Dubai and arrived at PGA West late Monday and only played nine practice holes. Although he opened with solid rounds of 71-73-70 he struggled on Saturday in the Coachella Valley and signed for an 81 that left him tied for 165th with two rounds to play.
Fernandez-Castano elected to play Q-School because this will be the last Fall Classic with direct access to the PGA Tour as the circuit transitions to a new qualifying system next season.
His manager Rocky Hambric said Fernandez-Castano was exhausted after playing five of the last six weeks, including three trips to Asia and the United Arab Emirates.
D.J. Trahan, Marcus Fraser and Gary Christian (back injury) have also withdrawn, reducing the field to 168 players.
Tags: Gonzalo F Castano
After several high finishes earlier this season, Spain's Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano will reportedly accept temporary member status on the PGA Tour, allowing him to accept an unlimited number of sponsor... Read More
- LIVE STREAM: BMW PGA Championship, Round 3
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- F. Molinari leads BMW | McIlroy, McDowell MC
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots