DUBLIN, Ohio – If Bud Cauley had opted to stay in college for his senior year, he would no doubt be helping the University of Alabama at this week’s NCAA Championship. Instead, he’s in contention at the Memorial Tournament.
Sounds like a pretty good backup plan.
While the Crimson Tide led entering the final round at Riviera, the three-time first-team All-America selection posted a 2-under 70 on Thursday that left him one shot out of the lead after the morning wave at Muirfield Village Golf Club.
“It's been nice,” said Cauley, who carded five birdies against three bogeys. “I've been struggling the last few weeks, so to see my name up there in red numbers was good.”
Tags: Bud Cauley
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller expects Garcia controversy to 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Palmer answers challenge | At a glance | Scores
- Stars stumble in BMW PGA | 41 by Rory | Scores
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Sr. PGA Champ. | Scores
- LPGA Bahamas going 12 holes in Rd. 1 | Tee times
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots