Cheyenne Woods qualifies for U.S. Women's Open
- By Ryan Ballengee
- May 31, 2012 4:38 PM ET
Cheyenne Woods will make her professional debut next week at the Wegman's LPGA Championship, the tour's second major of the year.
On Thursday, Woods played her way into the tour's third major of the year, as well.
Woods was co-medalist at the U.S. Women's Open 36-hole sectional qualifier at Carolina Trace CC in Sanford, N.C. She shot 74-72 to finish at 2 over par with Unviersity of North Carolina player Katherine Perry. The third and final spot in the 78-player field went to 15-year-old Rinko Mitsunaga.
Woods turned pro this month after graduating from Wake Forest University. The 2011 ACC individual champion signed with Excel Sports Management, the same representation as her uncle, Tiger Woods.
The U.S. Women's Open will be played July 5-8 at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
Cheyenne Woods was happy with her opening round of 3-over 75 at the U.S. Women's Open on Thursday at difficult Blackwolf Run. Read More
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play