Cheyenne Woods qualifies for U.S. Women's Open
- By Ryan Ballengee
- May 31, 2012 4:38 PM ET
Cheyenne Woods will make her professional debut next week at the Wegman's LPGA Championship, the tour's second major of the year.
On Thursday, Woods played her way into the tour's third major of the year, as well.
Woods was co-medalist at the U.S. Women's Open 36-hole sectional qualifier at Carolina Trace CC in Sanford, N.C. She shot 74-72 to finish at 2 over par with Unviersity of North Carolina player Katherine Perry. The third and final spot in the 78-player field went to 15-year-old Rinko Mitsunaga.
Woods turned pro this month after graduating from Wake Forest University. The 2011 ACC individual champion signed with Excel Sports Management, the same representation as her uncle, Tiger Woods.
The U.S. Women's Open will be played July 5-8 at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
Cheyenne Woods was happy with her opening round of 3-over 75 at the U.S. Women's Open on Thursday at difficult Blackwolf Run. Read More
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots