LYTHAM ST. ANNES, England – Senior British Open champion Russ Cochran withdrew from the British Open Thursday and first alternate Michael Thompson will replace him in the field.
“I just found out that I’m taking Russ Cochran’s place in @The_Open,” Thompson wrote on his Twitter account. “All this waiting paid off. Time to get that #warriormentality #RollTide.”
Thompson tied for second-place last month at the U.S. Open.
The news is a bigger deal for Ben Crane, who was listed on the alternate list ahead of Thompson. But Crane did not make the trip to England and was taken off the alternate list Wednesday by the R&A when it learned that he was still at home in Oregon.
Matteo Manassero is now next on the alternate list.
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play