LYTHAM ST. ANNES, England – Phil Mickelson was the biggest name to miss the Open Championship cut on Friday, but he had plenty of star-studded company amongst those slamming the trunk and failing to qualify for the weekend.
Last year’s champion Darren Clarke continued his string of poor play since that victory, posting scores of 76-71 in the first two rounds.
Also gone are the last two champions from Royal Lytham & St. Annes, as David Duval (2001) and Tom Lehman (1996) each finished at 5 over, two shots outside the number.
A pair of pre-tournament popular picks are headed home, as well. Justin Rose and Sergio Garcia, who played the first two rounds together, each finished one stroke too high.
Others with the weekend off include recent major champions Charl Schwartzel, Y.E. Yang, Lucas Glover, Trevor Immelman, Angel Cabrera, Stewart Cink and Martin Kaymer.
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invitational, Round 2
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Rory, G-Mac MC at BMW | No 3-peat for Donald
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots